Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Yay, Rant Time: Now Flick Off!

As you probably know Ludicorp (creator of Flickr) got into bed with Yahoo last march, later on it moved from it's home in Vancouver to Yahoo's Sunnyvale's campus. A couple of months ago Yahoo issued the following statement on Flickr's website.
"Please note that we will be migrating all independent Flickr accounts to Yahoo!'s network in 2006. At that time, if you have not done so already, you will be asked to create a Yahoo! ID (or link your account to your Yahoo! ID if you already have one) in order to continue using your account. We'll provide further details about the merge as the date approaches."

Angered by the new requirement some Flickrites are planning to kill off their identities before they can be moved into the new family. "If Flickr really forces me to join Yahoo in 2006 in order to still use my account, I will quit 24 hours before the deadline," wrote Thomas Müller, a Hamburg, Germany-based artist and creator of the protest group "Flick Off!"

Now in my humble opinion keeping your personal data on someone else's machine implies a continual set of readjustments of the contract between the you two. Web-based social neighborhoods will change as much as local cities neighborhoods do, remember the old old Usenet/AOL invasion, or the more recent Yahoo and Geocities acquisition?

I personally don’t see why they can’t just create a Y! account and move on with thier lives (or lack thereof). What would you do? Leave a comment

7 comments:

Robert said...

I already have a Yahoo account

Roba said...

Ahhh! That is quite upsetting! I had no idea that they're getting rid of the Flickr identity, because it is a damn good one!

Lina said...

Personally I've been very ticked off by this merger!! I have a yahoo account but I don't see why that has to become my ticket into flickr... I don't want to swim in the big whale's belly!!

Yazan Malakha said...

Robert, Good for you sir.

Roba, Flickr's identity will remain unchanged. You'll need a yahoo account to log in that's all.

Lina, between Friendster, Flickr, LiveJournal and del.icio.us bookmarks, not to mention e-mailing, instant messaging and Skyping -- the much-ballyhooed "social web" can feel like a slippery slope to multiple personality disorder. When the list of IDs you have to maintain is endless a unified login system such as Microsoft Passport or GoingOn Network would really make life much easier. You already have a yahoo account, you're already swimming in a big whale's stomach

SC said...

Big deal! but anyway, when I try to log in now I have two options, I either use my yahoo account or my flickr.

Yazan Malakha said...

SC, towards the end of the year you will only be presented with one option.

If you still haven't migrated or don't have a Yahoo! ID you will be forced to get one.

If you don't want to you can always use photobucket or host your own images

SC said...

I already have a photobucket account yazan but it doesn't offer a photo stream. There are other services but why switch if I already have a yahoo account, even creating a new one is not a big deal, better than having to upload my pictures all over again.